Thursday, February 28, 2013

Dr. Seuss Decoupage

"Green Eggs and Ham" in a Dr. Seuss Box


Dr. Seuss's birthday is March 2nd! My boys are currently celebrating Dr. Seuss week in their preschool class and I thought it would be a nice gesture to take a moment to thank their teacher for helping to mold the minds of my "Thing 1 and Thing 2"!!

I found this cute idea on Pinterest to make a "Green Eggs and Ham" type treat and then I thought I put my own Seuss-esque spin on it and make a box to hold the treats in.

Dr. Seuss Box

Basically, I used Mod Podge to decoupage tissue paper to a Wilton cookie box. It took a little bit of time, but the level of craftiness you need is fairly low (heck, I did it!!).

Supplies:
  • Mod-Podge
  • Tissue Paper (Target)
  • Dr. Seuss Scrap Book Paper (Joanne Fabrics)
  • Cookie Box (Joanne Fabrics)
  • Round Tags (Target)
  • Dr Seuss Quotes










Directions:
1) This tissue paper had a glossy quality to it, so I had to put a layer of Mod Podge on the box and then put tissue paper on it.
2) I started with the bottom of the box - spread Mod Podge on bottom and laid paper over it, then smoothed it out.
















3)  Work each side individually - crease the paper at the corners so you know where to cut it, then apply the Mod Podge to the box and smooth the paper out. Don't trim the top edge,  you will use that to fold over after you finish the inside of the box.




















4) For the inside of the box, I traced the sides and the bottom of the box and precut each section. Then I applied the Mod Podge and laid the paper in the box.





5) Now even out the top edges of the outside tissue paper and fold over.




6) With the Dr. Seuss scrap book paper I found, I cut out Dr. Seuss characters for each side of the box and decoupaged them.


7) I layered all my "Green Eggs and Ham" into the box (separated by clear sandwich baggies) and then wrapped it in plastic wrap. I attached a little Thank You note to the teacher and a Dr. Seuss quote (see the bottom - I found some Dr Seuss quotes that could be used for a teacher gift).

 

 





"Green Eggs and Ham"

Ingredients :
  • Pretzel sticks
  • Green M&Ms 
  • White Chocolate Chips 
Directions:
1) Line a baking sheet with Parchment Paper
2) Lay sets of two Pretzel Sticks on tray (1 inch between sets)
3) Heat White Chocolate Chips in a small bowl in microwave until melted. Stir every 30 seconds (takes about 2 minutes).
4) With a small spoon, put a small round amount of melted chocolate on the pretzel sets.
5) Place green M&M in the middle of the white chocolate mound.
6) Let cool for 30 minutes.

 

 

 

 

 

Dr. Seuss Quotes that are good for Teachers: 




"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

"You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself any direction you choose"

“Think and wonder,wonder and think”

“It is better to know how to learn, than to know”

I’m glad we had the times together just to laugh and sing a song, seems like we just got started and then before you know it, the times we had together were gone.”

It's not about what it is, it's about what it can become.”

I can read in red.
I can read in blue.
I can read in pickle color too.”

Oh, the thinks you can think!”

You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child

To the world you maybe one person; but to one person you may be the world

You can find magic
wherever you look.
Sit back and relax,
all you need is a book.”































    No comments:

    Post a Comment