Thursday, May 8, 2014

Healthy Kid Friendly Dinners To Go!

Every night this week, we've had a sporting event which means running home from work and running back out the door with a dinner on the go for the kids. I didn't want a week of Happy Meals for the kids, endless PBJs, etc but didn't have time to cook dinner each night either. So, I brainstormed a few dinner on the go ideas that could be made the night before, don't require utensils, can be packaged in a container and are healthier than drive thru options.

 Here are the 3 dinners that I came up with (and they turned out to be kid approved!!). 

Turkey/Cheese Stick/Cherry Tomato Kabob

You could really do any kind of kabob and the kids thought this was a fun way to eat dinner!! The yogurts in tubes are great for on the go eating. I threw in some crackers and fruit to complete it out. I have also switched recently from juice boxes to fruit water - the kids love strawberry water and orange water!









Chicken and Cheese Pita


I love pita bread for on the go dinners because unlike sandwiches, everything stays IN the pita (anyone who has to clean out a car after kids eating can relate!!). I baked some chicken earlier in the week and just sliced it up and put it in the pita with some cheese - we actually had a few minutes before leaving so I warmed them in the microwave for a few seconds, but I think they would be good cold as well.







 

 

Homemade Chicken Nuggets with Homemade Potato Chips

Again, I used the chicken that I baked earlier in the week for the chicken nuggets. I cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, put some olive oil on them and tossed them in a bowl with flavored breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. I baked them at 400 for about 10 minutes since chicken was already cooked.

The homemade baked potato chips are my new favorite lunch item for the kids:
  • Thinly slice 2 potatoes
  • Toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil and kosher salt (to taste). I also added some Tuscan seasoning for a little "zip"! 
  • Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  • Put potato slices on baking sheet in single layer
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes
  • Flip the slices that are starting to brown and then watch carefully - they will all start to crisp at various times. Remove them as they are done and set on a plate or baking rack to cool completely.



No comments:

Post a Comment