Friday, March 8, 2013

Pinterest Craft Review: Duct Tape Belts

The only thing that my twin boys wanted for their 4th birthdays were belts for their pants (like Daddy). They each got one for their birthday and they wear them so much that they are getting a little worn.

I saw on Pinterest belts made out of Duct Tape (in case you aren't aware...Duct Tape has gone designer!!!). I thought that the new designs out there might be cute and maybe a little cheaper than buying a new belt. So....I gave it a try!

 

 

Materials:


  •  Duct Tape - I found mine at Joanne Fabrics for $4.99 a role (I would use a coupon!)
  • D Rings - Also got these at Joann's in the Fabric section for $2.49 for 2 sets of D rings.

2 belts = $7.50 (actually less because you don't even come close to using all the Duct Tape! Plus if you don't impulse buy like me and instead wait until you have a coupon...you can take 40-50% off that Duct Tape!).

Instructions:


I used the following tutorial that I found on Pinterest from a fabulous blog - www.Remodelaholic.com

It was very easy to follow - great pictures and step by step!

Chevron Stripe Duct Tape Belt Tutorial

Lessons Learned:


1) Duct Tape is sticky (duh, right??) - it is hard to cut if you aren't using quality scissors, so your ends are uneven. But the biggest drawback of sticky tape is that if you make a bad fold, it is impossible to undo.

2) For kids pants, make sure you aren't making your belt too fat to go through the belt loops - I was so focused on the length of the belt that I didn't think about that part! Luckily you have more than enough Duct Tape to make another one if you mess up.

The Outcome:


For kids, this is pretty cute - my belts weren't perfect, but I don't think they will care as much as I do! I did 3 belts in an hour, so it is a pretty quick craft to do. I give it a thumbs up....now I have two roles of Duct Tape that are only 25% used.....back to Pinterest...perhaps there is a Duct Tape Playdate in my daughter's future!!!















No comments:

Post a Comment