Monday, March 18, 2013

Healthy Kid Food: Red Foods



My daughter's elementary school is having a Wellness Week where they strive to eat a "Rainbow" of healthy foods and each day is a featured color. I am pretty good when it comes to offering healthy foods for my family...but I am far from perfect!! I have to admit that there are many nights after a long day at work where chicken nuggets, fish sticks or my kids favorite - elbow noodles with margarine (not proud) are on my dinner table.

So, I took this week as a challenge to myself to plan out a truly healthy week's worth of food. I've planned my menu to go with Natalie's school event to see how I could do.

Day 1: Red Foods


Breakfast

Mixed Berry Smoothie (we don't have a ton of time in the morning, I cheated with this one!)

 

Lunch:

Sliced red peppers
Sundried tomato hummus with Kashi 7-Grain Pita Chips
Sliced strawberries with plain greek yogurt and granola w/dried cranberries
Red Apple



Dinner:

Chicken Breast with Honey Balsamic Glaze 
Cherry Tomatoes and Asparagus in a Balsamic Sauce
Oven Roasted Red Potatoes



Chicken Breast with Honey-Balsamic Glaze  (Recipe from SparkRecipes)

Ingredients


    1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp Salt Sense
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 lb uncooked boneless
    chicken breast 
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp honey


Directions
1. Combine first 3 ingredients; sprinkle over both sides of chicken pieces.

2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken; cook 7-8 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink in center.

3. Transfer chicken to a platter and keep warm. Reduce heat to medium low; add vinegar and honey to pan. Simmer 1 minute or until glaze thickens, stirring constantly. Pour glaze over chicken.

Serving Size: Serves 4



All in all, it was a good day - the kids tried everything for dinner (we told the boys that the asparagus were dragon tails...which made it fun for them to eat!!). The chicken recipe was fabulous and I will definitely try it out again!! Next up....Orange Day!!





No comments:

Post a Comment