Sunday, December 2, 2012

Holiday Traditions: Molasses Press Cookies




I attended a cookie exchange today and needed 4 dozen cookies to share. When I went looking for some cookie cutters, I came across my Mom's cookie stamps.

If you have never seen cookie stamps, they are Terra Cotta stamps that make designs into the dough. As soon as I found the bag of stamps, nostalgia hit me -I fondly remember making Molasses Press Cookies with my Mom every year and thought they would be a perfect choice to share!



I wasn't really sure of the background to these cookie stamps so I did some research today and found that these stamps are traditional to the Pennsylvania Dutch and also the Scandanavians. In the Scandanavian tradition (which I like best), women pass down the stamps from one generation to the next and the stamps are used to make cookies and cakes for friends at Christmas time.


Here is the recipe I found (it made 52 cookies):

  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp cloves
In a medium sized bowl, mix the butter and sugar. Next add the eggs and molasses - mix well.

In a seperate bowl, mix the dry ingredients and then add it to the wet ingredients slowly (the dough is pretty thick - I had to take a few breaks!)

Once dough is fully mixed, form the dough into balls (about the size of chestnut). Roll the ball into sugar and place on a cookie sheet.

Press the cookie stamp onto the ball and flatten it.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.



If you are looking for a new twist on cut outs or just looking for a unique cookie to bake...I highly recommend these! These are also a great gift idea - I found a website that sells these stamps - Rycraft Cookie Stamps. The site also includes recipes for different cookies you can use these stamps with.

My kids LOVED pressing the stamps into the dough and I have to say that in comparison to traditional cut outs, these were alot easier to do!




No comments:

Post a Comment