Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Turkey Virgin Diary: Planning is my friend

I love researching ideas, crafts, decorations, recipes, etc for my parties (thank you Pinterest!) and I always have a plan to implement these  ideas, but I literally plan it down to the first guest knocking on my door!!! This results in "Crazy Steph" about three hours before a party  - running around with a list, talking to myself, finding last minute things that still need to be cleaned, wearing my pajamas and my hair tied up in some crazy do...it is NOT pretty! My husband knows me well enough to stay away from this alter-ego and to keep the children in a safe location while Mommy plays another game of Beat the Clock.

But this time...I am going to be the calm, cool, prepared hostess...or least give myself 10 minutes before the first guests arrive!

Here is a list of things I can do in advance or make more efficient:

Grocery Shopping


I have many times taken unnecessary trips to the store. Let's face it - right before a holiday, there is no such thing as a "quick trip". Here is my plan -
  • Confirm with guests what they are bringing so I can write up a complete menu and figure out what is still needed.
  • Get out my recipes and check ingredients on hand (who hasn't run out to the store for a spice we swore we had in our pantry?!)
  • Write out my complete list (or use an App - I use ShopListFree), I star any item I have a coupon for and the quantity I have to get.
  • Stick to the list! This saves time AND money- although I have many times been suckered at Wegman's bakery....dang that woman sampling brie with cranberry orange bread....

Cleaning


I am a mother of 3, so cleaning my house is often like shoveling in a blizzard. Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Amen Einstein! So, for my own sanity, I have come up with a three part plan.
  • This weekend:
    • Thoroughly clean any room I can ban my children from for 3 days.
    • Put away all clutter
    • Tidy up the rest of the house
  • Day before:
    • The most ingenious thing I did was take the day before off from work - I have the house to myself to get the rest of the house clean without my little angels around to "help".
    • Vaccum, dust, mop the rest of the house - always more enjoyable when you can crank up the iPod. I fully admit to a few 30 second dance parties - I really don't get the house to myself that often!
    • Two words - Magic Eraser! Smudges be gone from my walls!!!
  • That morning:
    • Bathrooms (I have twin 4yr old boys, I don't need to explain why I wait to do this, right?)
    • Run the dishwasher so I all my dishes are ready for use and I have an empty dishwasher to load all those dishes after dinner.
    • Set the table
    • Light some fall scented candles

Cooking

Since I anticipate being fairly busy with cooking on Thanksgiving, I wanted to make a list of things I could prep in advance the day before.
  • Mashed Potatoes (I put them in a crock pot on warm Thanksgiving morning)
  • Stuffing
  • Applesauce
  • Cranberry Orange Relish

Help me eliminate "Crazy Steph" - what other things do you in advance of hosting family and friends??




No comments:

Post a Comment