Tuesday, July 8, 2014

DIY Gourmet S'more Bar






 
 
 

My kids LOVE making S'mores in the summer but the bonfire or firepit takes time to get started, you smell like smoke, kids get waaaay to close to fire, plus I inevitably become the gatekeeper for the chocolate and marshmallows to keep dirty little hands from touching the entire supply!!! It is just not as enjoyable for me as it is for them!

This 4th of July we had a family BBQ and the kids wanted S'mores so I started researching some other options that would bring a little more serenity to the tradition. I ended up creating a Gourmet S'More Bar and it worked out really well!! So if you are looking to make a S’more bar – here is what you need:


The S’mores

I made individual S’more kits which meant no need to be the gatekeeper! Plus, with doing the gourmet s’mores, I had the combinations already put together for people.


Kits:

  • Clear favor bags (I used Wilton party bags 4x6 that I got at Joanne Fabrics in the cupcake decorating aisle).

  • 2 ½ inch Wired Ribbon – I used a patriotic color scheme to go with the holiday, but you can use any kind and customize the look of the kits for your event or your style.

  • Stapler

  • Scotch Tape

Directions:

  • In each bag, place the graham cracker and marshmallow along with chocolate or other ingredients (see my gourmet s’more list below for some fun ideas!)

  • Cut the wired ribbon to the length of the bag opening

  • Fold over the top of the bag and tape it closed.

  • Fold the ribbon over the top and staple the two ends to attach it to the bag.  

Note: I made the kits the night before and I placed them in the fridge so that the chocolate didn’t melt all over the bag!!

Gourmet S’Mores: 

Here is a list of possible s’more combinations that can be made into kits. I made 4 options and did twice as many “Classic” s’more kits than the others but the gourmet ones got devoured as well!!! 

“The Classic” – graham cracker, marshmallow, Hershey chocolate

“The Grasshopper” – grahams cracker (or chocolate graham cracker), marshmallow and peppermint patty or Andy’s Candy. 

“The Samoa” – graham cracker, marshmallow, chocolate carmel (I used Dove but you could also use Ghiradelli) and toasted coconut (buy shreadded coconut in bulk and then place on a baking sheet in over at 300F for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes). 

“The Nutty Buddy” – graham cracker, marshmallow and mini peanut butter cup

“The Girl Scout” – graham cracker, marshmallow and thin mint 

"The Razzle-Dazzle" - graham cracker, marshmallow and chocolate raspberry square

Alternatives to Graham Crackers: Ginger Snaps, Chocolate Chip Cookies,  Nilla Waffer, Pizzelle



The Tabletop S'more "Fire"


I saw these on Pinterest and they are really easy to make and was so much more practical than a fire!

What you need: 

Container (no plastic or anything that would melt or catch on fire!). I found this little one at Target.

Sterno cooking fuel (you can usually get them in a pack)

Sand or gravel  to put in the bottom on the container to anchor the sterno containers.

River rocks to add around the sterno.


Additional Items:


Baskets or containers to put the S'more kits in

Something to label the different S'more options (I found these chalkboards at Joanne's in the wedding section)

Wooden or metal sticks to toast the marshmallows

Small plates and napkins

Garbage can to dispose sticks, empty kits, etc



No comments:

Post a Comment